Classic Lindt Shortbread with Sea Salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 bars (100 g each) Lindt Excellence 70% Dark Chocolate, broken into squares
- Maldon sea salt
- Heat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time; mix until all flour is incorporated and dough forms ball. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Working on lightly floured surface, roll dough out until approximately 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick; cut into 24 rectangles. Using a spatula, transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets, placing 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Top each cookie with 1 square of chocolate.
- Bake, in batches, for 12 to 15 minutes or just until cookies begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes; sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Cool completely on baking sheets before transferring to storage containers.
Note: You can melt down your favourite chocolate and drizzle the tops of the cookies for that extra chocolatey flavour.